Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Mocha Bar Variation

Yesterday, Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial posted a recipe for Mocha Bars. These little pieces of heaven are what I would call a brownie-biscotti hybrid. The shape and crisp outer gives the illusion of biscotti, but the decadent, soft interior reminds me of a good brownie. Needless to say, the recipe was so inviting I gave it a go as soon as I'd read it. Here's my adapted recipe, utilising ingredients I had on hand.
  • 125g (½ cup) unsalted butter
  • 55g (½ cup) raw (natural) cocoa powder
  • 3 large eggs
  • 150g (¾ cup) raw sugar
  • 100g (½ cup) soft brown sugar
  • 20ml (4 teaspoons) vanilla extract
  • 40ml (8 teaspoons) strongly brewed black instant coffee
  • 375g (2½ cups) plain flour
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
  • pinch of salt
  • 180g milk chocolate chips (I used Callebaut 34%)
  • 180g dark chocolate chips (I used Callebaut 54%)
  • 100g slivered almonds
The original recipe called for Tia Maria, but I didn't have any, nor a desire to buy any so I used coffee. I really could have percolated some but I was lazy so went with instant. I also replaced some of the chocolate chips for almonds, so remove a little of the guilt.

I followed Celia's baking procedure, and the one log that I baked barely cooled before being devoured. Thank goodness I froze the other 3!


1 comment:

  1. Pam, they look absolutely fabulous! Isn't it great that we can eat one log at a time, rather than scoffing them all at once? ;-) Thanks for trying out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete